Spring is officially here, summer is just around the corner, and the first thing we think about (after homemade mojitos) is the finger swelling. It is a fact that in hot weather, and especially during summer months, our fingers expand. Although it is very uncomfortable, it happens to the best of us!
First things first, let’s see why this is happening: Basically (and if not other serious medical problems underlie), it’s our genius bodies doing: The body tries to cool itself by releasing heat through the skin in the form of sweat. As the external temperature increases, the blood vessels become dilated to increase the blood flow, and the excess heat is released into the environment. This process is called vasodilation and it causes your fingers to expand.
Now that we cleared things up, let’s talk about ring sizes: How can you choose the correct ring size for you, when the size depends on the weather?
TIP 1: When getting sized, it’s always best to get sized by professionals using metal ring sizers before ordering a ring. We recommend getting sized several times, on different days before ordering your ring. That way, you can come up with a sort of average.
TIP 2: If you can’t get sized by professionals at that certain period, choose a ring you already own and follow the steps at our detailed jewelry size guide.
Other factors you should keep in mind:
1) If the ring you want to order has a wide surface, you may need a larger size than with a thin ring (for example bands).
2) It is better if the ring has a “difficulty” to pass through the finger joint and then be more comfortable at the base of the finger. In that way there is no risk of losing it.
3) Bands with a flat interior will fit tighter and be harder to slide over the finger joint, than bands with a comfort-fit internal surface.
4) Ideally, you have to be sized with bands that have the same width and fit as the ring that you want to order.
5) If none of these solutions work for you, keep in mind that we can create your custom adjustable ring so that it can fit perfectly all year long.
Check our latest ring collection on our Etsy shop here!